SAP EWM for warehouse management and logistics
io-consultants is a leading German SAP logistics consultancy, with additional offices in the USA and Asia, specialising in the introduction and optimisation of warehouse and production solutions by market leader SAP. Our focus lies on SAP’s Supply Chain Execution with SAP EWM (Extended Warehouse Management), which provides all the necessary features for warehouse and logistics process management and ensures an efficient supply chain – for large logistics centres and small warehouses alike.
We are an SAP Silver Partner and certified with SAP Recognized Expertise in Supply Chain Management, but much more than merely an SAP logistics system provider. For many of our clients, our work begins well before the actual SAP implementation. International companies safely rely on our expertise in worldwide supply chain planning, designing and implementing new logistics or distribution centres, and providing detailed process analysis and process definition under consideration of cost-effectiveness and ergonomics aspects. Our clients in SAP consultancy projects stand to benefit from our wealth of experience in these matters.
io-consultants has more than ten years of experience in introducing, optimising and rolling-out SAP EWM for clients from various industry sectors.
We also pride ourselves on designing warehouse software architecture with the Supply Chain Execution platform or with SAP S/4HANA, creating and evaluating automation concepts, and designing workplaces for productivity optimisation.
Whether you need to plan a new logistics centre from scratch or want to implement SAP EWM into an existing plant, with io-consultants you will benefit from our holistic approach. No matter how detailed the task at hand, we always keep the big picture in mind.
Compliance with SAP standards is always a top priority for io-consultants!
We offer reliable, productive and efficient solutions that lead to measurable success. Learn more about our successful projects with renowned clients around the world:
Cooperations and partners
We are an SAP Silver Partner and certified with SAP Recognized Expertise in Supply Chain Management. SAP EWM is the leading solution for manual and automated warehouse processes.
topsystem was the first German IT system provider to launch a voice-controlled picking system. Lydia® significantly increases the efficiency and quality of work processes.
io-consultants and Picavi GmbH, the world’s first supplier of market-proven picking solutions with smart glasses, together developed a middleware-free interface between Picavi’s Pick by Vision software and SAP WM/EWM.
SAP EWM implementation and roll-out
IT project management as the key to success
Projects are influenced by three interdependent key parameters: costs, deadlines and results. io-consultants’ project management team acts and manages accordingly. Our consultants provide holistic and professional consulting services and are deeply committed to implementing every project on schedule and in line with the budget and contractual obligations.
Risks are continuously assessed and potential adverse developments or abnormalities recognised at an early stage. Our consultants set great store by active communication throughout the entire project and thus help to ensure that SAP EWM-driven logistics always commences as originally planned.
With our own project execution model (PEM) – which involves procedures, checklists, tools – we ensure every project’s success. We use our tried-and-trusted io-consultants project portal for highest-possible levels of project transparency. This cloud solution gives every project team member – whether internal or external – quick and easy access to all tasks, dates and decision criteria, and thus ensures a systematic and efficient workflow.
SAP solutions for logistics
Although SAP EWM is primarily geared towards the automated management of large logistics centres, its modular concept also makes it ideal for smaller warehouses. Launched in 2005, it was designed by SAP as a stand-alone application. By the end of 2016, more than 1,000 companies worldwide have implemented SAP EWM, making it the world’s leading warehouse management system.
A key asset of SAP EWM is its excellent consideration of warehouse physics. As an extension of SAP WM, SAP EWM offers new functions such as:
- flexible process modelling and high stock transparency
- central monitoring
- multi-customer warehousing
- support for logistics services within the warehouse
- direct control of automated conveyor technology under the Material Flow System (MFS)
- integrated stacker control system, and staff planning
The efficiency of SAP EWM can be increased with the use of appropriate technologies for paperless processes within the warehouse. These include raising warehouse staff productivity through route optimisation and hands-free processes, as well as stock and order quality improvements aided by on site scanning.
Potential technologies are:
- Scanning with ITSmobile – a standard SAP RF Framework module
- Pick-by-Voice – voice dialogues are realised using Lydia®-Voice by topsystem (an io-consultants partner)
- Pick-by-Vision – the smart glasses solution by Picavi (an io-consultants partner)
Voice and Vision are both connected via a middleware-free interface to SAP EWM and SAP WM.
io-consultants will factor in all the process and efficiency requirements to determine the best technology for your warehouse, and generate the related business case.
Release 1610 of SAP S/4HANA offers further deployment options for SAP EWM in that it can be implemented as a so-called embedded EWM in SAP S/4HANA . As such, the common interface file (CIF) is no longer needed and there is only one set of master data for materials and batches. The supplier and the customer are portrayed in the EWM via the Business Partner role.
SAP WM, the further development of which was already suspended years ago, will finally be deactivated in 2025 and no longer be part of the digital core (formerly SAP ERP).
SAP offers its customers the option to use the embedded SAP EWM without license fees for the EWM engine. A prerequisite for this is that the scope of use corresponds with the functionality of SAP WM.
Clients who use SAP S/4HANA have two options for SAP EWM:
- SAP EWM system on a separate instance – suitable for high-volume distribution centres
- SAP EWM embedded – interesting for warehouses lined to production
How we work
Common to all planning projects is that io-consultants follows a structured sequence of events, and uses methods and modules appropriate for each individual situation:
1. Strategy consulting
- Process analysis and optimisation
- Greenfield or brownfield
- Automation concept
- Architectural concept with SAP S/4HANA, ERP and SCE
- Concepts for facility modernisation and restructuring
- Best technologies for paperless processes
- Introduction/training in SAP EWM and SAP MFS
2. Concept planning
- Performance specifications for warehouse management system and material flow control
- Planning of investments and operating costs
- Project implementation planning (templates, phases, schedules, teams)
- Planning using our own PEM project methodology
- Planning and execution of tendering and contracting processes for warehouse management system and material flow control
3. Business blueprint
- Generation of an SAP business blueprint (with and without automation)
- Specifications and selection of hardware (RF terminals, Voice, Vision, ...)
- Early prototyping of processes and dialogues
- Migration concepts
- Compilation of a traceability matrix
- Customizing of SAP EWM / MFS / WM / S/4HANA / ERP
- Use of io applications (standard-in-standard)
- Migration to SAP EWM (from non-SAP or SAP WM)
- Emulation and simulation of automated warehouse systems
- Test cycles (offline / online / integration / performance tests)
5. Ramp-up management
- Cutover planning
- Data migration and transfers
- Ramp-up support
- 24/7 worldwide support
Over 50 years
More than 5.000
Other services and industries you may be interested in
As a lead consultant, we provide comprehensive services across a variety of disciplines – production, logistics, architecture and IT – and will oversee each stage of your project from the beginning right through to standard operations.